13 Habits of Highly Likeable People
Article by Eugenia Vega
One of the most important ingredients for your career success depends on how much the sum of people around like you.
In the work arena Managers would rather work with someone less skilled and likeable than someone who is competent but alienates their co-workers. For a lacking skill set, people can always receive training but the ability to be well-liked is not a talent that can be taught so easily. Yet like with most personal changes “likeability” can be enhanced when putting the right time and effort into it.
Hereby some practical tips for it:
1. Deep Listening – Self-centered people are usually unlikable. It is important to focus more genuinely on the other person and less on yourself. Everybody loves a good listener. In conversations when you do not have all the facts, it is in your best interest to listen. Unqualified opinions just make a person sound foolish.
2. Be Approachable and Service Oriented– If people cannot get a hold of you, or have trouble approaching you, they will forget about you. Maintaining a positive and tolerant attitude an keeping an open communication line will always work on your favor
3. Communicate Clearly and Honestly– Most people have a very low tolerance for dealing with people they can’t understand, mystery or unknown words.
4. Compliment People Genuinely–Everybody likes to hear that his effort is appreciated.
5. Be Yourself and Do not Lie– All people have the subconscious ability to detect any lie. If you do not like certain aspects of yours you see in the mirror, try to change those parts that make you unhappy instead of pretending to be who you are not.
6. Address People by Their Name – People love the sight and sound of their own name, so make sure you learn it and write it properly.
7. Make a Firm Handshake – There is a considerable correlation between the characteristics of a firm handshake (strength, duration, eye contact, etc.) and a positive first impression.
8. Dress Professionally and Cleanly. People will always judge a book by its cover. While a stylish dress code is not absolutely necessary, it can drastically alter another person’s perception of you.
9. Mirror/Match the Person You Are Talking to– By imitating their body language, gestures during a one on one conversation, this will make the other person feel an added sense of comfort as they speak with you. The more comfortable you make people fee, the more they will enjoy being around you.
10. Use Positive Verbal and Body Language – Positive body language includes maintaining eye contact, using hand gestures for important points, leaning in closer while someone else is speaking, smiling, and mirroring the person you’re involved in a conversation with.
11. Use “Please” and “Thank You” – These words make demands more friendly and welcome and therefore others will be more willing to help you.
12. Respect Everyone – There are no boundaries or classes that define a group of people that deserve to be respected and treated with patience. People will notice your kindness.
13. Exceed Expectations – Don’t Over-Promise… Instead, Over-Deliver. Some people often make promises they are just barely able to fulfill. If you want people to like you, forget about making promises and simply over-deliver on everything you do.
14. Maintain a High Standard of Integrity and stand up for your values.
Now that you have the tips, what two small steps can you implement this coming week to become more likeable in your environment? Continue with this small action for a few weeks and they will become new habits in your life that will deliver tangible results for you.
If you want to increase your likeability join our next meetup in Amsterdam next Tuesday at 19.00h. See all details and do not miss this valuable workshop!
Fuente original del contenido:
Eugenia Vega Montesinos
Te podría interesar
Envía tu comentario
Debes iniciar sesión - Hoy 20:28